The L. Shirley Tark Turbo & Jet Engine Research Center at the department of Aerospace Engineering of the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, headed by Prof. Yeshayahou Levy, is the main Israeli academic entity for jet engine propulsion and gas turbines. The Turbomachinery and Heat Transfer Laboratory, a division of Technion Turbo & Jet Engine Center, is supervised by Dr. Beni Cukurel.
The research group includes 7 Ph.D. researchers, 3 engineers & technicians and 10 graduate (Ph.D. and Masters) students.
Current research activities consist of:
- Numerical simulation (CFD) of complete, low Nox combustion systems, including fuel spray dynamics, chemical reactions, conjugate heat transfer (fluid – wall interaction) and thermal radiation for large and small engines.
- Development of air blast fuel atomization methods with small droplets.
- Raman and IR spectroscopy for optical diagnostics of heat transfer and composition of combustion gases.
- Fundamental conjugate heat transfer investigations geared towards turbine, combustor lining, and electronic cooling applications.
- Thermal measurements using thermography via infrared camera and liquid crystals.
- Multidisciplinary measurement technique development including non-intrusive simultaneous gas temperature, pressure and velocity measurements.
- Small wind turbine
- Development of blood flow measurement systems.
The main facilities include 4 test stands for small jet engines and gas turbine (electrical power generation unit) and a larger one that is under renovation. The main measurement instrumentation include laser diagnostics systems (LDV, PDPA, PIV) for flow measurements and spray diagnostics, high speed gated image intensified camera, high resolution IR camera, gas analysers & chromatograph, IR & UV Spectrometers (for exhaust gas and radicals analysis), Labview based data acquisition (P,T,mass-flow) and novel hot wire anemometry system. The lab is equipped with high pressure air supply and electrical heating that allow performing continuous tests with air at up to 6 bars and 1000 K inlet temperature. Computational facilities includes different parallel processing capabilities & various CFD codes (STAR-CD, STAR CCM+, FLUENT, OPEN_FOAM as well as the CHEMKIN – PRO codes)
Multiple research projects are conducted in cooperation with local & international participants from industry, research institutes and universities and are financed by organizations such as the European Union and local and overseas government grants.
Visit the Turbo and Jet Engine Laboratory Website at: http://jet-engine-lab.technion.ac.il
Tel: 972-4-829 3807
Fax: 972-4-812 1604